Redmon Wines is located on a one-acre property near downtown St. Helena. More than 100 years ago, the property was home to one of Napa Valley’s earliest wineries. Today, we’re taking great care to preserve and refurbish the property’s original structures.
Nothing captures the romance of the Napa Valley more than the region’s legendary “ghost” wineries. These old buildings provide a look into a bygone era of California winemaking.
On the West end of our property sits a 2,000 sq. ft. redwood timber barn. The barn was built in 1909 by two German immigrants, and operated as a winery for the two decades leading up to Prohibition. Then, like the other ghost wineries in the valley, the building stood idle.
In 1933, the doors opened again and the fruit arrived. This time, the barn was used for fermentation of a different style – spirits! That’s right. The old ghost winery was used to distill spirits made from the many orchards and fruit crops that sprang up during the years of Prohibition.
Eventually the winery fell into disrepair. In 2001, our family acquired the property. Still to this day, stepping in under the old tin roof, one can see the remnants the narrow railroad tracks running down the middle of the building where push carts we used to move the fruit and barrels in and out. It’s a fascinating piece of St. Helena history. Our family is proud to maintain the ghost winery for generations to come.
Across the courtyard, on the East end of the Redmon Wines property, is a quaint wine country farmhouse. This house was once part of a wine co-op called Sunny Saint Helena Winery (now Merryvale Winery) – the first winery built after Prohibition. The home was later moved from the center of town to where it now sits.
We are hard at work making this home a warm and inviting place. There’s nothing like sitting outside the farmhouse on a warm day sipping a cool glass of chardonnay or enjoying our red wines with a plate of sharp cheese, fresh black fruits or grapes, and rich chocolate treats!
Bunkhouses and Blacksmith Shop
Between the ghost winery and country farmhouse are several more historic structures. Bunkhouse 1 is a small building that historically housed migrant vineyard workers. Just behind is Bunkhouse 2, an even smaller building that served as living quarters for the ranch superintendent and family. Both buildings are now completely renovated. But it’s not difficult to imagine these early workers on a dark night out in the vineyards, having their supper and staying warm around the bunkhouse stove.
Next to the bunkhouses is the blacksmith shop. Originally, this building had a gravel floor, wooden tool pegs on the walls, and a tiny lean-to outhouse. The shop building has been renovated from the ground up, and is now a beautiful addition to the Redmon Wines property. In fact, we’ve recently landscaped the entire courtyard. We added lighting, an artisan-built fieldstone rock wall, new trees and green grass sitting areas.